A unique range of fire-retardant, professional wood finishing products formulated to upgrade (or maintain) the fire-rating of a wide variety of wood-based substrates, including veneered panels, solid hard- and softwoods, plywood, MDF and wood-composite boards. The xerofire® Fire Retardant Coatings system comprises of a 2K Waterborne Fire Retardant Basecoat/Primer in combination with a 2K Acid Catalyst Clear/Colour topcoat providing a high quality, furniture-grade finish.
- Class 0, BS476 Part 6 and 7
- Euro Class B-s1,d0
- Exceptional clarity
xerofire® Fire-Retardant Clear Systems provide exceptional clarity and are suitable for use with most solid timbers, veneers, MDF and composite boards, giving the architect, specifier and designer a wide range of substrate options.
How do xerofire® fire retardant coatings work?
During a fire, the fire retardant basecoat/primer swells to form an insulating charcoal layer. This layer prevents oxygen and heat from reaching the substrate, preventing ignition.
- Heat initiates degradation of the coating at around 250°C
- The fire retardant reacts to form char
- The char expands
- Expansion prevents heat from reaching substrate
- Char eventually solidifies
xerofire® Clear and xerofire®HP Clear fire retardant systems offer class-leading, exceptional clarity, making them an ideal choice when one would like to take advantage of the natural beauty of timbers and veneers.
xerofire® Fire Retardant wood finishing systems from Morrells are class-leading, professional systems providing a high quality, exceptionally clear, furniture-grade finish with National Class 0 accreditation as well as EN Euro Reaction to Fire B-s1,d0, the best possible Euro reaction to fire performance rating for a system of this type.
xerofire®HP Clear - the second generation xerofire® Clear Fire Retardant wood finishing system, requiring only a single coat of isolator, basecoat and topcoat. This High Performance system gives the same exceptional clarity, furniture-grade finish and class-leading fire-retardancy with greatly reduced application time.
- xerofire®HP Clear - a singe-coat basecoat, single-topcoat fire retardant wood finishing system, offering exceptional, class-leading clarity and quick turnaround.
- xerofire® Clear - a double-coat basecoat, single top-coat fire retardant wood finishing system, offering exceptional, class-leading clarity.
- xerofire® Colour - a double-coat white primer, single pigmented top-coat fire retardant wood finishing system.
- xerofire® Isolator - a clear barriercoat to prevent potential discolouration from acid-sensitive timbers
- xerofire® Basecoat - a clear waterborne basecoat for use under xerofire® Clear topcoat
- xerofire®HP Basecoat - a single-coat clear waterborne basecoat, saving time during application
- xerofire® Clear Topcoat - a clear acid-catalysed topcoat for use over xerofire® Basecoat
- xerofire® Primer - a waterborne white primer for use under xerofire® Colour topcoat
- xerofire® Colour Topcoat - a pigmented acid-catalysed topcoat for use over xerofire® Primer
Scope for Use
xerofire® is suitable for use with substrates according to the following parameters:
- Thickness of at least 12mm
- Density of at least 510kg/m3
- Class 0 furniture-grade wood finishing system
- Fire resistant, fire proof coating system
- Fire rated system for spray application
The user should consider the Fire Retardant Accreditation for this product range as a guideline only. The tests conducted encompass the whole finishing system which may comprise additionally of substrate, adhesive, veneer and coating, and not just the coating. Application methods and coating weights are also factors which can influence fire retardancy.
It is the responsibility of the user to ensure that their specific system/application achieves/maintains the required Fire-Retardant rating. For example, "Euro Class B" MDF is fire-rated board. Any application of glue and veneer etc will compromise the rating of the board. Therefore, the Reaction to Fire rating of Euro Class B MDF must be maintained by applying a coating system to upgrade the veneer to B-s1,d0, thus maintaining the rating of the board.
xerofire® has achieved the highest rating for Euro Class B of s1,d0 Reaction to Fire
- s1 - little or no smoke propagation
- d0 - no flaming droplets or particles in the first 10 minutes
xerofire® complies with the requirements for Class 0 defined in Appendix A paragraph 13 of Approved Document B “Fire Safety” to the Building Regulations and has achieved the Euro Reaction to Fire classification of Euro Class B-s1,d0 xerofire® official Exova FR Certification/Accreditation Reports:
- BS 476: Part 6: 1989 +A1: 2009 – Method of Test for Fire Propagation of Products – Report Number: 315455 issued 25th April 2012 by Exova Warrington. Reviewed (402251) by Exova Warrington 13th July 2018.
BS 476: Part 7: 1997 – Method for Classification of the Surface Spread of Flame of Products – Report Number: 315456 issued 25th April 2012 by Exova Warrington. Reviewed (402252) by Exova Warrington 13th July 2018.
EN 13501-1: 2007 +A1 :2009 “Euro” Classification B-s1,d0 – Report Number 412843 issued 10th June 2019 by Warringtonfire.
xerofire® has been used in well-known places: The Shard, Starbucks, Manchester City FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC, Birmingham Library, Heathrow Terminals 4 & 5, The National Theatre, Frankie & Benny’s, Waterloo Underground Station, the Facebook Offices and The Royal Barge.
Contact Technical Service for more information at 0161 406 5300. See the rest of the Architectural Coatings range, or view our Interior Lacquers.