005 metallicote® Aluminium Powder
Standard primary grade air atomised aluminium powder.
A mixture of metal powder and polymer binder (with activator) is sprayed onto sheet material or an object and then finished to give both the look and feel of aluminium.
Techniques to produce the desired effect can include grinding, sanding and polishing.
- 1ml lacquer : 1.38g metallicote® Aluminium
- e.g. 5L lacquer : 6.9kg metallicote® Aluminium
- Mixing mechanically, add powder slowly to catalysed metallicote® Binder 6884/460
- Thin to application viscosity using fast, medium or slow thinners
- Apply thin background coat of metallicote®
- Fine Texture - use unthinned and catalysed metallicote®, reduce fluid supply to gun and reduce air pressure to apply splatter coating
- Coarse Texture - same technique as above, with a larger fluid tip
- Allow to dry overnight before sanding/finishing
- May be carried out with hand sander or machine
- Sand edges carefully to prevent sanding through the coating
- Start with 320G, then 400G, finish with coarse and fine wire wool
- Always test coarseness before application
- Brushed - use wire wool, work from coarse to fine grit until effect is achieved
- Swirling - use wire brush on a drill
- If desired, seal metallicote® with a thin coat of clear base lacquer, ensure coating weight is as thin as possible to prevent loss of metallic feel
- For exterior use, metallicote® must be sealed with appropriate exterior grade lacquer