007 metallicote® Tin Powder
The tin powder range is characterised by powders having high purity, low lead (Pb) content and produced with tight control of particle size and good batch to batch reproducibility.
A mixture of metal powder and polymer binder (with activator) is sprayed onto sheet material or an object and then finished to give both the look and feel of tin.
Techniques to finish to produce the desired effect can include grinding, sanding and polishing.
- 1ml lacquer : 8.28g metallicote® Tin
- e.g. 5L lacquer : 41.4kg metallicote® Tin
- Mixing mechanically, add powder slowly to catalysed metallicote® Binder 6884/460
- Thin to application viscosity using fast, medium or slow thinners
- Apply thin background coat of metallicote®
- Fine texture - use unthinned catalysed metallicote®, reduce fluid supply to gun and reduce air pressure to apply splatter coating
- Coarse texture - same technique as above, with a larger fluid tip
- For textured effects allow metallicote® to dry overnight before sanding/finishing
- May be carried out with hand sander or machine
- Sand edges carefully to prevent sanding through the coating
- Start with 320 grit, then 400 grit, finish with coarse and fine wire wool
- Always test coarseness before application
- Brushed effect - use wire wool, work from coarse to fine grit until effect is achieved
- Swirling effect - use wire brush on a drill
- If desired, seal metallicote® with a thin coat of clear base lacquer, ensure coating thickness is as thin as possible to prevent loss of metallic feel
- For exterior use, metallicote® must be sealed with appropriate exterior grade lacquer